Facebook and Instagram have announced major security changes that will change the way users authenticate Instagram feeds. This article will explain the entire process. The main overview article can be found here.
- Users that need to authenticate Instagram feeds will need a Facebook user account.
- A suitable brand Facebook page will need to be chosen/created and your users will need to have assigned role on the page.
- The chosen Page will then need to linked to an Instagram Business Account, or linked to a new one. If a new Instagram Business Account account is created it will need to be approved by Instagram.
1: Ensure your users all have Facebook accounts
It's now a requirement that user must be a member of Facebook, in order to do that, they can sign-up on the main Facebook homepage.
2: Choose an existing Facebook Page (or create a new one)
The next stage involves choosing a brand page and ensuring that all of your users (that will need to authenticate Instagram feeds) have a role there.
To create a Facebook Page (if you don't have one available) simply sign up for one here. The user that creates the Page will be made an Admin by default, an Admin will be required later to connect your Page to a suitable Instagram Business Account.
Adding user roles to your Facebook Page:
- Open your Page on Facebook and click on the Settings tab on the far right (Located next to Help)
- From the Settings panel on the left, click Page roles. The right panel will now display the users you have added to the page with their role under Existing Page roles.
- Click into the text box below Assign a new Page role, type in their first and last name, this will present a list of Facebook users for you to select, chose the correct one based on the list.
- Now select an appropriate role from the drop down list to the right, if you need a more detailed explanation of the Facebook Page roles check here. Once you have selected a role, click Add.
The user will now be sent a request to join the page, once this is accepted, they will be listed in the Existing Page roles section of Page roles.
3: Upgrade a personal Instagram Account to business account (or create a new one)
If you already have an Instagram Business Account, move on to stage 4.
Converting to a Business ProfileIf you have an Instagram Personal Account only, you can simply switch an account from personal to business (this must be completed on a mobile device):
- Go to your profile and tap
- Tap Settings
- Under Business Settings, tap Switch to Business Profile.
- Add details such as your business or profile's category and contact information.
- Tap Done
Move on to stage 4.
Creating a new Instagram account:
- Visit: https://www.instagram.com/accounts/emailsignup/?hl=en
- Enter the required details to sign up for a new account
- Once sign-up is complete, follow the above 'Convert to a Business Profile' steps.
Move on to stage 4.
4: Connect your Facebook Page to an Instagram Business Account
In order to complete the Facebook verification process to authenticate feeds in the Wayin platform, you will need to connect an Instagram Business Account to your Facebook Page.
- Visit the Facebook website and navigate to your Fanpage.
- From your Fanpage, click Settings in the top right.
- Under Settings, open Instagram on the left menu.
- On the right, click Login and enter your Instagram account details.
- Once you have logged in successfully, the details of the connected account will be shown, you can click Edit here to update any details you require.
Your Instagram Business Account should now be linked to your Facebook Page. You can now authenticate Instagram feeds within the platform.
If you have followed all the above steps and are finding that your newly connected Instagram Business Account is not listed or producing an error then you can try the following steps to reconnect your IG account to your Facebook Fanpage.
There was an issue retrieving a list Instagram Business Accounts associated with this feed (The authentication details will need updating). Please ensure you connect your Facebook Page (Where you have any role) to the Instagram Business Account you wish to use. For more information, please see this knowledge base article.
Revert your Instagram account back to Personal:
- Now open Instagram on your mobile device (The App)
- Tap Settings, and tap Switch to Personal Profile.
Each time you switch back to a personal profile, your insights data on Instagram will be erased. Wayin does not use this data.
- Once you have confirmed this, switch back again to a Business Profile.