Allows Cheetah Experiences to recognize a user via an external identifier (such as Loyalty Member ID, Messaging ID or any other external ID) and work as a unique identifier in place of an email address. We will now be able to recognize users coming to an experience from a link in an email, through a unique URL from a loyalty program or it can be passed to us from a parent page. In the future, this foundation work will enable us to hide/show relevant fields based on the known information as well as to utilize segmentation information for further personalization of an Experience.
Background & Context
Up until recently, an email address was the only unique identifier used to accept an entry to an Experience or to recognize a user who has previously entered an Experience using Remember Me. With personalization of content and offers growing in importance, we wanted to enable more use cases based on the fact whether the user is known to the organization already or if the user is unknown.
Over time, we will continue to evolve our personalization capabilities based on the fact whether the user is known or not, so watch this space for more exciting updates.
With this release, we are introducing a new unique identifier called "Customer ID". The Customer ID is a parameter that can be used as a unique identifier to enter Cheetah Experience instead, or in addition to, an email address. There are a couple of methods that can be used to pass the external identifier to an Experience based on whether the experience is embedded in a parent web container, or if it is published as a standalone microsite with a unique URL, or using a custom domain.
The Customer ID will be recorded as part of the entry, visible in the Entry Details screen and made available for retrieval through exports (Data Export, Winner Export, Redemptions Export) as well as scheduled exports, Export API and the Webhook. We are also releasing an updated version of our Export API - v5 - so if you are looking to use the Customer ID and you retrieve data using Export API, see the updated documentation in this article.
How it works
- Customer ID must be a string of alphanumeric characters, and may also contain hyphens and underscores.
- It can be used in conjunction or as a replacement of the email field in the form.
- It respects the same entry criteria settings as an email would normally so you can limit the number of entries that are allowed per user and set a maximum number of entrants to an experience.
- The same fraud prevention rules apply when Customer ID is used
How to set up an experience to recognize user by a Customer ID
- Create the experience
- Publish the experience
- Decide how you will want to pass the Customer ID to us, you can select one of the following options based on the publishing method you've selected:
- Set the external Customer ID via the query string parameter (Ideal for Microsites)
- For more information, please see the Technical Documentation attached.
- Once the integration is set up, Customer ID will be captured as part of an entry, it will be visible in the Entry detail and available through Data Exports together with all other data collected
Note: Using an email address field is optional in this scenario as Customer ID may be used as a unique identifier.
Ready to use it?
Follow the instructions above. If you need help, please reach out to your Customer Success Manager or email email@example.com who will be happy to help get you started.