Introducing: Cheetah Experiences Data Retention
Cheetah Experiences has a responsibility to ensure that it complies with all relevant legal, regulatory and contractual requirements in the collection, storage, retrieval and destruction of records. Of particular relevance is the European Union General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and its requirements concerning the storage and processing of personal data.
One important element of data protection is ensuring personal data is only held for as long is as necessary. This reduces the volume of personal data under management, removes out-of-date data and, in the event of a data breach, would reduce the scale and impact on Cheetah Experiences our customers and data subjects.
With this release, we are enhancing our data retention capabilities by supporting customizable retention periods per account and giving you greater insight into how long data is retained per campaign.
Customizable data retention.
Up until now, data retention was fixed at 13 months after the time of entry. With this release, you will be able to specify a data retention period of up to 12 months.
What is changing?
- Customizable retention periods
- Multiple retention modes
- Publishing flow updates
- The UI (Experience Summary, Publishing, Entries, and Export) will now display necessary information and warnings to help you understand data retention
You can now choose the following retention periods for entries:
- 3 months
- 6 months
- 12 months (default)
The most suitable option will depend on your processing needs and corporate standards. By default, your account will be set to use a 12 months retention period. Changes to your retention period can be requested by having an account admin contact support here.
The retention period will be based on one of the following:
- For campaigns without an expiry date, the date of entry (“rolling mode”)
- For campaigns with an expiry date, the date the campaign expires (“expiry mode”)
- Once a campaign is published, the mode will be locked in for that campaign (unless the campaign is fully reset)
Publishing flow updates
Key changes to publishing are:
- Experiences may be set to publish up to 12 months in advance
- Experiences may expire no more than 12 months from date of publishing
Note that you can now easily publish and schedule experiences with or without an expiration date, something that was previously restricted.
Updates to the UI
To effectively communicate an impact of retention, we have introduced a number of enhancements to the UI. You will now be notified about the retention period and the retention mode on the following screens:
- Experience Summary
- Publishing (before confirming the final step)
- When rescheduling experiences (when retention restrictions apply)
The UI messaging will guide you through any restrictions or important information to remember. You may see messages such as:
- “Entries will be retained for 12 months from the date of entry.” (rolling retention)
- “Entries will be retained until <retention date>.” (expiration-based retention)
- "Your new expiration date is permitted but entries will be retained for a shorter period than normal. If possible, choose a date that is not highlighted in orange. Do you want to proceed?” (when rescheduling an experience)
Key information to remember
- Admin users in your account can request a change to the account retention period by contacting support here.
- Retention mode is set at the point of publishing and will be either rolling (if no expiration date is set) or expiration-based (when an expiration date is set)
- Entries will be removed 3/6/12 months from the time of entry when an experience is in rolling mode
- Entries will be removed 3/6/12 months from the expiration date when an experience is in the expiry-based mode
- There are no restrictions when trying to reschedule an experience in rolling mode
- There are some restrictions when trying to reschedule an experience in expiration-based mode but the UI will guide you through these
- To reset experience’s retention mode, you will need to reset the experience. Please note that this action will remove all existing entries and insights